From talking to hundreds of grievers we know that many feel pressurised to return to work far sooner than they are ready. The biggest considerations are financial. Employers are obliged to offer compassionate leave but it doesn't have to be paid.
As a result of all these conversations and government actions/inactions in this area we have launched a petition asking that there should be statuatory 2 weeks paid leave available for those who experience the death of a spouse.
Currently the average time off awarded to an employee after a major bereavement is just 3 days. Even 2 weeks is incredibly short, given that in England, many funerals don't take place until 2 weeks or more after a death.
In November 2017 a private members bill which will mean statutory bereavement leave for those who have a child die had it's first reading. It is expected to become law by 2020. This is an excellent step forward from the goverment position in 2013 where they shied away from legistating saying it was "too complicated."
At Grief Recovery we recognise that all grief is unique &
that every case needs to be looked at individually. The work done by ACAS on good practice in bereavement policy is excellent but entirely voluntary. Small employers struggle to manage the cost of providing good bereavement leave but if the leave were statutory they would be able to claim this back.
We have decided to focus on the death of a spouse following the success of the private members bill because it was so specific it meant the government could see a clear need and legislate. Our hope is that we can bring about a similar result for widows and widowers everywhere.
Please sign and share on - together we can make a difference.

Leave a comment:

On 16th March 2018 at 06:01, james durning wrote:
i agree that people need much longer to grieve and that should be understood
On 15th March 2018 at 20:21, Carol Rhoden wrote:
Thats unfortunate, I am sure this will afect people on lower incomes more, Having to organise and or just work as a team with family and friends take up alot of time and emotional energy . employers should be flexible to adjust time table to support time table Caribbean cultures have a nine night, were family and friends will gather as part of the memorial and transition
On 15th March 2018 at 17:50, anne wrote:
Grief and loss are two of the most powerful experiences anyone of us will have to endure - the emotion, the confusion, the practicality of try to sort everything out is overwhelming for anyone and a few days in which to do so - is unfathomable. There needs to be a time for doing and healing to allow people time to return to any kind of normality.
On 15th March 2018 at 07:13, Preety Ahluwalia wrote:
So important to have have time to heal and the grief recovery method Results to resolve over the grief as opposed to coping and just managing natural response of grief that can keep us stuck in pain for so many years after the event isf not guided effectively through the program
On 14th March 2018 at 20:12, Carol Lavelle wrote:
I lost my son in the June of 2016 and it took me until February 2017 for me to get back to work. Fortunately my doctor was aware of the state of my mental health and my employers supported me during my time off work. I know others are not as fortunate snd it needs a change.
On 14th March 2018 at 18:45, Tina Farrell wrote:
I'd also like to see financial support for the bereaved; I worked part-time whilst supporting my husband through his illness, after his passing I still have to maintain day to day living but on one part-time wage with no access to full-time work in the area, with 5 years to go until I Retire...
On 14th March 2018 at 18:36, Briege Reynolds wrote:
At least 2 weeks
On 14th March 2018 at 18:34, Fiona Sheen wrote:
Yes I agree with this campaign
On 14th March 2018 at 17:38, Harvie Jacki wrote:
I was only given 2 days leave when I lost my husband. How can you possibly organise a funeral, deal with all thempaperwork and more importantly grieve in that time? I feel a minimum of two weeks paid leave should be offered to all working people who suffer a bereavement.